nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things

  • From: Jason MacArthur <rotread@localnet.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Boron and other things
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 08:23:04 -0400

I find this conversation about organic vs. conventional farming interesting. I have worked on organic vegetable farms quite a bit, and one of the things I always found disheartening was the lack of communication and understanding between organic and conventional growers. Ultimately, farming practices are not divided by bright, clear lines; rather, they exist along a spectrum of grays. Growing anything is inherently intrusive to the environment in which it is done- the decisions of how and when to intrude form the choices that farmers make, decisions based on experience, habits, economics, etc. "Organic" is one set of parameters, "Conventional" another, but ultimately there are more similarities than differences between the two camps.
I think we should be able to agree that soil is the foundation of agriculture and agriculture is the foundation of our society. Farming practices which promote healthy soil are more sustainable than those which destroy it. How do you compare the merits of a chemically based no-till system to an organic system which doesn't use herbicides but which involves many more trips over the same ground with a diesel powered tractor?
I think we should be able to agree that water is the foundation of life. Farming practices which don't pollute water are more sustainable than those that do. Huge amounts of Nitrogen Phosphorous dumped into mistreated soil become pollutants, but just because a farmer occasionally reaches for some Imidan doesn't mean they over-fertilize.
I think we should be able to agree that consuming pesticide residues has uncertain and probably deleterious health effects on humans. What we need is a regulatory system which analyzes these things based on science not lobbbying.
How we grow our food has a huge impact on our environment and our societies, and I do think that our system of agriculture has gone too far down the road of chemical and fossil fuel reliance. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water.