nafex - Re: [NAFEX] foundation of agriculture

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] foundation of agriculture
  • Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2007 09:03:02 -0400

Hello,

I would suggest that the foundation of agriculture is economics, which are
driven by consumer demand. Since the bulk of consumers prefer "perfect
appearing produce" at a "cheap price", the conventional farmer is simply
supplying consumer demand. The organic farmer is simply catering to a
smaller market segment.

Do not blame the farmer for the decisions made by the consumers.

Change the consumer's preferences and you change the production process.
Similarly the consumer demand for electric refrigerators put the iceman out
of business.

How many farmers do you think are going into tobacco today? It is all about
market demand, and economics, which are driven by consumers. Change the
consumer, change farming.

Later,
Tom