nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Are GM Crops Killing Honeybees?
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 10:39:51 -0700 (PDT)

Varroa mites are bad but beekeepers are dealing - the problem is
getting, slowly, under control. This is new and very sudden. But
native bees are not affected, I have heard. I have lots of other
bugs besides honeybees in my flowers. I don't think pollination is
at an end... although things like commerical almond farming could
take a huge hit.

--- Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net> wrote:

> It is highly unlikely that GM crops are harming honeybees. Honeybees
> are always included in extensive studies of potential impact of each
> GM cultivar. If there is a negative impact on bees, the cultivar
> would be destroyed and never released.
>
> The real threat to honeybees in the US and Europe is the imported
> Varroa mite. It is devastating.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall