nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 19:57:01 -0500

Yasi, Whitman Farms in Salem, Ore., sells Geraldi Dwarf mulberry as well as a
number of other mulberry cultivars. See
http://www.whitmanfarms.com/ProductList.asp?ProductCategoryID=15

I've found this nursery very reliable. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

But there's no indication of what zones these mulberries are recommended for. When I was looking for mulberries for zone 5, they were friendly enough, but they didn't know which varieties would work for me. I believe I was interested in Oscar's, but I ended up getting another Illinois Everbearing, since I knew that one would be hardy here.

One thing I do like about Whitman Farms, though, is that their descriptions seem honest. With many nurseries, everything they sell is the best ever. It's hard to choose a variety when they're ALL supposed to be perfect. But check out some of the descriptions of gooseberries at Whitman Farms: "horrible mildew," "fairly bland red berries," "small to medium berries but not very many of them," etc. Yeah, they've got better descriptions, too - they sell a LOT of varieties - but I feel like I can trust a place that tells the bad along with the good.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5a)

--
Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity. - "Barrayar" by Lois McMaster Bujold