nafex - [NAFEX] 2006 orchard report

  • From: Del Stubbs <northernlights2n@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] 2006 orchard report
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 20:49:06 -0700 (PDT)

I rarely get the opportunity to participate any more on this list, but I
believe I didn't
post last year's results of my experimental orchard. I am hoping another 30
apple
varieties fruit this year. My apple orchard is mostly 7-9 years old on
Renetka and
Prunifolia, but I have a newer row on Bud 9 as well. Location is about 100
miles south of
Canadian border in Minnesota, rated 2 or 3 on the ag zone map. S.East facing,
well
sloped, heavy clay. Surrounded by native hardwood forest.
Del
Note: unfamiliar names are my own - denoting locally acquired unknown
varieties, shown
with *

7/20 Crandall currant - picked first
Malinda - small, crisp bright flavor
7/28 Lodi - first picked, wait a few days
8/1 *Big Louie - large red juice flavorful, first ripe
8/5 Norcue - first ripe
Dearborne's Favorite - already soft
Valiant grapes - some are already blue
8/6 6/4/47 Grapes very small seeds, delicious
Summer Sweet grape - good eating
Lubsk Queen - Ripe, 10 ounce 3 3/4", mild flavor
8/20 Trailman - first ripe
8/22 Pristine - yellow, crisp complex pear like flavor - A
8/25 Trailman - 2" on B9, on M26 were 1 3/8", Thin big tree more next
year!, hornets
getting Trailman, pick soon
Norcue - over ripe, w/ hornets - should have picked 8/15
Pristine - picked all 4 what a beautiful apple!, pear like aroma,
blemish free skin
Duchess - average flavor texture
*Louie #2 - was Jamie's favorite, above average, different variety
than Big Louie?
8/30 Crandalls, picked last
9/1 Duchess - all 3 fell, a bit soft, pick by 8/20 next year
Sonnyboy - if it falls is way over ripe, first to fall was 9/20, pick
by 9/15 next year,
very beautiful, average flavor
Trailman - good time to pick, bright flavor, good for adding to sweet
cider
9/5 Mandan, first one fell, tastes like cardboard (later used with
Chestnut for wonderful
sweet cider)
9/7 *Solway - first drop - deep dark purple blush, medium flavor &
texture, try picking
8/30, good for juice, not a keeper
Sept Ruby - very juicy, good flavor, not keeper, has honey cells
already, try picking
Sept 1, dropping by 9/6
9/10 Morden 359/B9 - just fell (one of 2) Huge! 15.2 ounces, 4 1/4 " mild
flavor, not
keeper
*Scheers/B9 - fell (all3) very dry apple, above average taste, med.
small and flatish
shape
Chestnut - near peak
9/13 *Solway - picked all, now wonderful taste w/ honey spots , shold have
picked
earlier earlier?
9/14 Pick all Grapes, Much hornet damage
Trailman - picked all of , 90% were too soft, pick earlier next
year, apple saused
them, was not sprightly
9/15 Iowa Beauty - First picked, wait till 20 to 25th
Sept Ruby - picked all, were a bit over ripe to store ( I waited till
some fell )
9/19 Prairie Spy - picked first one, already has hornets in it, caramba!
what flavor!
9/25 Centennial - honey core, very sweet now
Prairie Spy - still not full sweet, wait a bit
Chestnut - Perfect flavor now!
9/27 Fameuse Snow Apple - not quite ripe, good keeper ?, very crisp, mild
subacid flavor
- flavor might get stronger after picked
9/30 Crandall Currant - picked last ones
10/7 *Yellow#1 - looks like small golden delicious, (not smokehouse)
10/10 picked all grapes - 20 degree and snow tonight, only 5 light frosts
so far,
P. Spy, Centennial, Chestnut, N. Spy, Yataka, - Picked all
Goodmac picked - beautiful med large yellow, tart sweet tangy, Mary
says Yes! great for
pie or eat
MN 1606 Picked - A+, very sweet, very juicy, bright, tangy, rich
complex flavors
Yataka Fuji - perfect eating apple, A+
Norson - 3 apples, waited too long to pick, soft but good flavor
Regent - B+, good flavor, texture, storage
10/12 Several 21 degree nights already, few remaining Chestnuts still firm
but all bird
pecked (no leaves)
*Yellow #1 - several on ground A+ flavor
P. Spy - are now full flavored A++
10/25 Spartan - found hanging, an A+, still firm after all the freezes,
tartly flavorful

Food fight? Enjoy some healthy debate
in the Yahoo! Answers Food & Drink Q&A.