nafex - Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] zone 5 mulberries
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 23:28:07 -0500 (EST)

I have read that Morus nigra used to be dried on a large scale in places like Afghanistan and Iran. I don't know how Illinois Everbearing (alba/rubra cross?) compares for drying. M. nigra is reported not
hardy in zone 5.

I know people who like some weeping mulberries for fruit, but they don't have much knowledge of mulberries. I suggest that if you want a mulberry for fruit, you get one that was selected for its fruit quality.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario