nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rabbit damage

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rabbit damage
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 17:31:09 -0400

Hello Stephen,

I am not adverse to eating rabbit; I just never see it offered. Some people
raise them for the meat. I have eaten horse, bison, and venison but never
had a chance with a rabbit.

I find rabbit and mice to be lazy browsers. Give them a barrier and they
eat elsewhere.

We wrap the dwarf apple trees with the paper seed bags that winter wheat
comes in. It is triple ply and the seed is treated for disease, so maybe
the bag smells funny to them, but they have never chewed through one. The
empty bags are either taped on with duct tape, or tied on with baling twine.
Nothing fancy.

We just cut the bag wrap off in the spring.

Later,
Tom