nafex - Re: [NAFEX] rabbit damage

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] rabbit damage
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 15:07:22 -0700

I've seen something like that. The bark is gone, but the cambium isn't totally stripped and there can be enough bits of it that if it's protected even slightly it can fill in the gap enough to create a bridge that will keep the tree alive, then grow to fill in the space with new bark. It's amazing how SMALL a strip of cambium can be and still keep the tree alive long enough for it to do enough healing of the wound to survive. It may be runty for a couple of years, but after a while it can fill in amazingly well, given the chance.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com