nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince - pear compatability

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince - pear compatability
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 00:45:12 -0500 (EST)

Eric, some years ago Ken Taylor tested the Polish Pigwa Cydonia oblonga rootstock quinces which he got from Vineland Ontario, at his farm at Montreal (Isle Perrot) and found that they did not survive a test winter.

I doubt that commercial fruiting cultivars of Cydonia oblonga readily available in Ontario would be any hardier.

My guess is that tha hardiest Cydonia oblonga cultivars might be Leskovac
(Geant de Leskovac) and possibly Vranja from Jugoslavia. Both the namesake towns are on high ground, near the plateau which Frank Skinner said had some of the cold-hardiest plants in Europe.

Years ago I read that a botanic garden at either Malmo or Gothenburg/Goteborg
in Sweden had experimented with Leskovac as a rootstock, in the 1940's.
I didn't hear what the result was.

For new cultivars of increased hardiness, seed might be planted from these hardy Yoslavian cultivars, from wild (feral?) quinces in cold areas of Serbia or Montenegro or Kosovo, or perhaps from wild quinces in the area of origin (Caucasus?).

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada