nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree

  • From: "S & E Hills" <ehills7408@wowway.com>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree
  • Date: Sun, 4 Mar 2007 20:56:50 -0500

Lee, your book was one of the reasons I now grow each of those trees (well I had the pawpaws before reading your book in all honesty).

From Lee’s Book…..With commentary by me

Che (Lee, maybe you could include a pronunciation guide in the next book)

            Described as a large shrub or a small tree  to about 20 feet (though specimens of 60 or more feet are possible) with a spreading flattened top.  Some plants have a vinelike habit, though this might be a quality of juvinile plants. Leaves are highly variable and drop without fanfare {strange as I remember mine getting yellowish….hmmm…I’ll have to check if I have pics of that)

Persimmon (Kaki)

            Drooping leaves and branches give the plant a relaxed appearance.  { didn’t notice any mention of size of this tree in the book, but I am just skimming for relevant information….I can tell you that I chose a variety that would remain very small Ichi Ke Kei Jiro and I have read elsewhere that Kaki are smaller than American Persimmon}

Pawpaw

            {I know Bassem has Pawpaw trees already}  Small pyramidal tree with drooping branches and large leaves that turn a nice yellow (though not as clear a yellow as Ginkgo) before falling in the fall.  Generally height is between 10 and 25 feet in height, though individual specimens have been noted at nearly 50 feet tall (their fruit is among the earliest “fast food” in the forest and if you’re not careful it might knock your block off)

Pawpaw would have the nicest flowers of the three, though hanging roadkill in the branches to ensure fertilization might upset the homeowners association.  Che (on Osage Orange rootstock) and Pawpaw have the propensity to sucker (not a desirable trait for the front yard)  They also are the trees least likely to suffer winter die back due to temperatures.  Persimmon fruit hanging from the branches would look great  (like mini pumpkins) at Halloween as would Che (looking like a tree filled with red/pink ping-pong ball sized brains) especially so if the trees have lost their leaves.

Btw…I have the pruning book as well, though I haven’t finished reading through it yet.

Scott Hills