nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree

  • From: Joe and Ellen Hecksel <jhecksel@voyager.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Front Lawn fruit tree
  • Date: Sat, 03 Mar 2007 09:25:35 -0500

Bassem Samaan wrote:
I had a magnolia planted in my front yard, that I cut down 3 years ago. I wanted to replace it with edible landscaping. I'm confused between Che, Pawpaw, or Saijo persimmon. I already have pawpaws planted about 30' away from the spot. So if it was a pawpaw it already has the pollinator. I'm not sure if Che will be a specimen tree, I love Saijo fruit as well.
What would you do if you were me?

Pawpaw trees are a bit small for typical specimen trees. Fine for a micro yard or a secluded nook. Fall color is clear, pale yellow.

Most Asian persimmons are also smallish trees due to very heavy bearing. Many sport awesome fall color with very hot reds and orange.

I can make no comment on Che.

If you like the flavor and have a medium size yard, Ya Li Asian pear should be considered. Beautiful tree. Spring flowers. Clean leaves. Sparkling, early (far earlier than Bradford flowering pear) fall colors. The only drawbacks are that the fruit aroma is more like incense than fruity and large amounts of fruit.

Salem aleikum from Eaton Rapids
-Joe

Bass Zone6
Bethlehem, pa