nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:43:39 -0600

At 09:35 PM 1/24/2007, Pete wrote:
A little Googling and patent search reveals that Pixie Crunch (TM) is a
trademarked name, which in turn represents the Co-Op 33 cultivar out of
Purdue, which is patented as PP 13,871, with patent application date
December 21, 2001. (Patent issued June 2003.)

>From this, we in NAFEX or on this list should not be sharing or asking for
Pixie Crunch or Co-op 33 scionwood without the appropriate patent licensing
authorization until around December 22, 2021
Folks looking for Pixie Crunch(TM) apple should plan to buy a licensed tree.

Thanks, Pete.
I wondered if it might still be under patent/trademark protection.
Guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy, too. If it's illegal/unethical to share it around without paying the royalty, I'll not be party to it. I'd be willing to pay the royalty, if I knew who to send it to.
Thanks to the members who offered...but I guess I'll pass.

Lucky