nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 06:04:42 -0800

Dr. J. Moore at the U. of Arkansas took the attitude that a grower who propagated for his own use, not for sale, gave more in advertising than in royalties. So if a grower was simply increasing stock for their personal use, there were no royalties. I think Dr. Moore was right, because word of mouth among growers pushed the reputation of the Reliance grape much farther than it might have gone otherwise.
I feel the same way. Goodwill from letting a grower increase their own stock without paying royalties will gain you more in the long run than being a stickler for collecting the propagation fees.
-Lon Rombough
For even more grape lessons, go to http://www.grapeschool.com
For growing supplies and more; http://www.grapegrowersolutions.com