nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pixie Crunch apple scionwood - Not
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 08:57:18 -0500

Hello,

You can do an online patent search to discover who holds a patent, and their address.

http://www.uspto.gov/patft/

I had little luck in contacting the patent holder for Titania blackcurrant.  He had no idea how to handle a single individual, or establish a straight forward royalty fee.

I just wanted to propagate a couple more bushes (for myself) from the single plant I had purchased from a nursery.  Having read all the NAFEX posts on patents I thought I would try to honor the patent.

Possibly he was the exception.  In my limited experience, patent holders are interested in the large producers, not the individual propagating for their own limited, personal use.  I think we are more of a bother than we are worth to them.

I am not saying to abuse a patent, just stating the realities I ran into.

Later,

Tom