nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flood-tolerant apple rootstock needed?

  • From: <dmnorton@royaloakfarmorchard.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flood-tolerant apple rootstock needed?
  • Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:18:57 -0600

The rootstock I am most familiar with that has some tolerance to wet conditions is M111. We have used it in our lower elevations to good success. It is a bit precocious, but can be well controlled with proper pruning. It tolerates water logging and drought, is well anchored, resists wooly apple aphid and will dwarf to 90% of seedling-rooted size. It is also good in sandy soils, but is susceptible to crown rot under very poor conditions. Hope this helps.

Dennis Norton
Royal Oak Farm Orchard
http://www.royaloakfarmorchard.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "tanis cuff" <tanistanis@hotmail.com>