nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus

  • From: "Donna &/or Kieran" <holycow@cookeville.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 09:32:12 -0600

Hans,
I was quite startled to look at images of S. domestica on Google. I never saw this plant in England when I lived there in the late 70's, and a map showed it is not native there. I would indeed like to try it here as I see it will take heat. Humidity is another matter, we have lots of that here and lots of fireblight. I don't think we have any DIFFERENT diseases here, only conditions where the usual ones grow quicker. Given that, it would be much wiser to grow from seed in hopes of getting something with some resistance rather than trying any kind of selection from a place where it grows easily. Lon offered seed, that would be good. Is it legal to send seed of Sorbus from Europe? Some of these things are ok, some (like stone fruits) are not.
As a side note, if things keep getting hotter in Europe, you all may need some new cultivars there too. Donna