nafex - Re: [NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 00:43:42 +0100

Hallo,
The compatibility can be very complicated:
E.g. in Northern Germany Prunus root stock "Colt" is doing well for Cherries,
but in most other parts of Germany it isn't very positive.

Many Pears are possible on Quince root stock, but some Pears are only possible with a second compatible Pear in between.

Peach "Hales Early" does not grow on "Myrobalan B" root stock.
The Plum root stock "Brompton" is growing well with "Hales Early" and also with "Myrobalan B".
But "Myrobalan B" root stock and then "Brompton" and finally "Hales Early" is impossible.

Only the Japanese Plum "Beauty" is possible with Almond. Most other Japanese Plums are not possible.

Most Peaches are possible on Plum "Marianne" root stock. But opposite direction is impossible.

Usually Japanese Plums do well on European Plums, but not in the other direction.

In Germany Sorbus domestica grafting is not a big deal, but in America it seems to be much less successful.

A very known book in EU is stating, some Carya are possible on Juglans nigra root stock, but unfortunately this may be wrong.(???)

Let me add finally, that the mentioned walnut orchards in California with the peculiar looking trees,
(the bottom portion of the bole is a smaller diameter than the upper one) are producing exactly with this portion
a high priced wood which is appreciated very much.

ciao
Hans Germany; Cold zone 6