nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 23:52:32 +0100

Hallo Hector,

An English collector proposed also Pyrus calleryana in general as a very strong and resistant root stock (for other pears e.g.).
Let me ask him again, because I do not have any experience...
I hope some other NAFEX members will tell you some American experience.
I graft on Sorbus aucuparia.
Again let me mention Sorbus domestica. It should be more resistant in warmer temperatures - in general.
Anyhow, America is very different from Europe.
In Germany some S. domestica are much more than 200 years old and some domestica are more than 30m heigh!!!
I think this is only possible with a quite resistant tree.
Don't you have a chance to get some scions from Plant Repository at Corvallis directly? I think they may help you.
Anyhow in future, I will send some Sorbus domestica and other scions legally to the USA to one institution.
If you can not succeed before, I may help you together with that export. But it takes time.

Ciao
Hans

hector black schrieb:
Hello Hans,
I've been very interested in your posts about Sorbus. We saw quite a few of Michurin's hybrids at the Kiev Botanical Gardens so years ago. I have one tree growing from a seed brought home from there - but unfortunately Sorbus does not seem to like our humid and hot summers. We have fungus problems on some, Japanese beetle damage, and also the apple borer has done quite a bit of damage.
Thought that maybe a different rootstock could help at least with the borer damage. Has anyone tried Pyrus calleryana? That does very well here.
I know it's hard to get scionwood into the US but would be very grateful to have a chance to try some grafts this spring, and glad to pay for costs.
Some years ago the Plant Repository at Corvallis Oregon imported some Sorbus hybrids from Lithuania which I think included some Michurin's hybrids. They had some disease problem - I will chech to see what their status is more recently.
Thanks again for the interesting posts!
Hector Black, zone 6, Tennessee

----- Original Message ----- From: "Hans Brinkmann" <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>