nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus

  • From: Hans Brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sorbus
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2007 14:10:45 +0100

Hallo Donna,
it is very right to look first for rowans growing in the same area...
In most EU countries we do not know your Rowan-disease problems at all.
We have also Rowans (Sorbus) which came from warm China areas at EU.
Do not forget Sorbus domestica (seeds) because is likes more heat. Humidity???
Ask more and keep me informed, to be able to support you.

ciao
Hans

Donna &/or Kieran schrieb:
Hans, Thank you for your offer of sorbus, but of course it would be too difficult to legally import it. I did ask Hidden Springs Nursery about Sorbus, they are about 50 miles north of us, and they said it did very poorly there, too much humidity and disease. This was followed by the comment that they didn't carry plums because they got too much black knot disease. I never get black knot where we are, they are down in a hole and don't get the breezes that we get. So I'll have to ask around some more to see if anyone else has them growing. I remember how lovely the Rowan trees were in England, and never imagined I could graft them onto pear rootstock. Donna

**YOU MUST BE SUBSCRIBED TO POST!**
No exceptions. ----
to change other email options):