nafex - [NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?

  • From: "Jim Fruth" <jfruth@uslink.net>
  • To: "NAFEX" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] What's (problematically) compatible with pear?
  • Date: Sat, 13 Jan 2007 08:37:36 -0600

Lon said: "Medlar, quince, Sorbus, Amelanchier, loquat are all graft compatible
with pear."
-Lon Rombough

Lon,
There is an unobvious problem connected with off-species grafts. A visitor to the walnut orchards in California can see peculiar looking trees, walnut trees whose bottom portion of the bole is a smaller diameter than the upper portion. Eventually those trees strangle themselves. I have a similar thing happening in my orchard where I grafted a fast growing plum onto a slow growing rootstock. These trees of mine need to be held upright with crane-like supports or they either topple over in the wind or just outright break off. In comparison, grafting a pear onto an Amelanchier or Loquat, etc. would likely have a similar result.

Jim Fruth
Brambleberry Farm
Pequot Lakes, MN 56472
www.bberryfarm.com