nafex - Re: [NAFEX] winter kill

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] winter kill
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 17:07:12 -0500 (EST)

Derry, I would start to worry about your exposed apple rootstock pots, especially the M9.

Your St. Julien and Mazzard will probably be OK if they are in the ground.

If not, everything depends on the amount of snow cover. If it's a solid 2 feet above the pot tops my guess is that you are OK for now.

I think St. Julien A is fairly hardy, to about zone 5b in the ground. Ordinary Mazzard I wouldn't trust beyond 6b, in normal circumstances.
You should be OK. The only thing I might worry about is whether the temperatures fell abrubtly from continuous above freezing for a long
time, to your current temperatures. Even well after domrancy begins,
full coldhardiness takes some time to develop. However, it does
usually peak roughly mid January.

A lot depends on how thick the snow cover is.

The late Isaac Brock Lucas had a sheltered fruit garden at Markdale, Ontario, in zone 4a I believe. He had reliable *heavy* snow cover (downwind of Lake Huron and Georgian Bay) and he successfully grew
apples on M9 and pears on Quince A.

With open (snowless) winters such as we sometimes get in the Niagara Peninsula, Quince A is successful for long periods only below the escarpment in zone 7a. The historic lows range from 16 degrees below zero F (-26.7 C) at Vineland Station to minus 12 F (-24.4 C) at Niagara-on-the-Lake at the mouth of the
Niagara River on Lake Ontario.

Sweet cherry on mazzard is successful here in 7a.