nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?

  • From: "ethan roland" <eroland@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:55:25 -0500

Charlie -

Sounds like you've got some good ideas for the site already! To choose
the specific plants that best match your conditions, I'd suggest
taking a look at Dave Jacke + Eric Toensmeier's Edible Forest Gardens
Volume 2. It has an extensive and excellent appendices listing over
600 useful/functional plant species -- including specific information
on growing conditions, site prep, and more.
www.edibleforestgardens.com is a good place to start.

The questions I would ask are:
- What's the soil like?
- how dry is the area?
- how close is the sport to your house?
- what exactly do you want out of the space? if you just want low
maintenance, then the species selection will be very different than if
you want some fruit or medicinal herbs.

Good luck!

In Peace
Ethan

Today's Topics:

1. Re: cider apples.(re:tannic acid) (Dennis Norton)
2. Re: Patenting, Nov '06; was "cider apples.(re:tannic acid)"
(tanis grif)
3. Covering plants/frost protection (Jim Fruth)
4. Sulfur bad or good for grapes? (BekeeprTop@aol.com)
5. what plant under red pines in part shade? (BekeeprTop@aol.com)

Message: 5