nafex - Re: [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?

  • From: "Mark or Helen Angermayer" <hangermayer@isp.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?
  • Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 11:26:56 -0600

Hi Charlie,

I don't think anyone has suggested paw paw. You may be aware they are noted
as an understory tree, in fact young trees are so sensitive to UV light,
shading is recommended for the first couple of years. I don't know how
much room you have under the pines, nor if the soil would be correct, but it
may be one to consider. I've seen wild paw paw on the Missouri side and
they don't seem to grow very tall under shade, so they may not need a lot of
room.

Mark Angermayer
Zone 5 Kansas