nafex - [NAFEX] cider cheater

  • From: "Richard MURPHY" <murphman108@msn.com>
  • To: "nafex" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] cider cheater
  • Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 17:22:57 -0500

Guys;

First, you all are right; nothing takes the place of a carefully blended cider.
But..........During my winemaking experiments, successful ones...I used Mott's 100% Natural Squeezed Juice, no potassium sorbate added. To that I added:

grape tannin   and  malic acid;  both really cheap, all wine making places carry them.

wow !  (this is 'augmentation', not cheating)

But... there ain't a decent substitute / band-aid for apple aroma, so, for my 2 cents, that's the most important thing to have in a cider apple.

Too flat, not sour enough, not sweet enough, no bite,  are easy to fix.
True apple flavor / aroma are not. Shoppeth with thy nostrils.

Murph

  • [NAFEX] cider cheater, Richard MURPHY, 11/13/2006