nafex - [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] what plant under red pines in part shade?
  • Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2006 11:44:40 EST

Under two red pines, in the front of the house, unwanted seedlings appear of
winged euonymous, prunus serotina, and especially maples.

It's a pain pulling the little seedlings. Even more frustrating is nothing
useful is growing in space that's obviously fertile and sunny enough to
encourage the growth of these seedlings, rather rapid growth I might add. I
tried
Sparkle variety strawberries and they survive but do not thrive.

So I'm looking for suggestions what might be tried there to get some use out
of the space. Gobo Burdock? Soloman's Seal? American ginseng? I tried
onions with no result too. Eleagnus Umbellata [Autumn Olive]? Some herb?
Witch-hazel? Garlic? Beach Plum [Prunus maritima}? Raspberries?
Somebody come
up with something, please!
Charlie Paradise, Massachusetts USA