nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red wine and health

  • From: Michael Dossett <phainopepla@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red wine and health
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 09:31:05 -0800 (PST)

Rob,

You will get basically the same health benefits from
drinking concord grape juice as from wine because the
source is what is important. The reason why you hear
so much about wine is because the wine industry does a
lot of funding of the research and does a great job
publicizing it.

Tangentally, many people have heard how good
blueberries are for you but the average person doesn't
realize that the good stuff is concentrated in the
skin. Some blackberries and black raspberries are
actually quite a bit higher in anthocyanins and in
antioxidant potential but they haven't recieved the
amount of research funding the blueberry industry has
ponied up and they haven't done as much to publicize
it.

Michael Dossett

Michael Dossett
Corvallis, Oregon