nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red wine and health

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red wine and health
  • Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 10:37:05 -0800

The role of the food (or wine) industry is fairly important in funding research.  Way back when I was in school, the biochem department kept a list of funded research proposals, all from companies with an agenda – such as proving that wine or coffee is good for you.  At first I thought this was pretty distasteful, but as time has gone by I have seen the benefit.  Inquiries that would never otherwise get funded, do.  You can see an adversarial process in research papers.  Years ago the sugar industry didn’t like being blamed for obesity and other health problems; they funded research.  Research showed the dangers of a high fat diet.  The fats industry fought back with research of its own.  Now we have a much better understanding of the role of serum triglycerides in diabetes; the role of insulin resistance in obesity; the existence of metabolic syndrome, and more.  There were rumors and small studies about the effectiveness of grape compounds for years before wine industry money poured in, and now things that were suspected are confirmed; and the chemicals and fibers involved, and their methods of action, are better understood.

The negative part of this is science writers who lack skill and editors who lack restraint, leading to studies that are not-ready-for-prime time to be brought to the public’s attention, implying conclusions that the research just doesn’t support.  A test on five mice isn’t the same as the final clinical trial on a human population.  Then those preliminary studies are – in this scientifically adversarial (I mean the good sense of adversarial) environment – refuted.  You get a series like: Scientists find coffee is bad for you/good for you/bad for you/good for you… I wonder if it lowers the faith of the public in good science, who can’t always differentiate between – and aren’t always told – what’s proven, or what’s just hinted at, or whether a discovery of the workings of a small part of a biological system can be applied to a whole organism or a population.

~ Stephen