nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Enough of the killing

  • From: "MARIE ASHTON" <bwoodtx@verizon.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Enough of the killing
  • Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 20:17:59 -0500

Why not give the squirrels something else to eat. If you will notice in larger orchards there is only minimum damage and only at the edges of the orchards, usually. They can only eat so much. There are also tree guards that are inverted cones of metal so the squirrels cannot climb the tree, but it is only effective if there are no trees nearby that they can jump from. In urban settings the squirrels are under pressure to find something to eat while in rural settings there is plenty to eat so there is less damage. Like organic gardening try alternate methods.
Regards,
Richard Ashton
Oak Creek Orchard
www.oakcreekorchard.com