nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting

  • From: list@ginda.us
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting
  • Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2006 11:18:31 -0400

So I went out today (back from vacation) to see how my grafts are doing. At first, I thought a bird must have ripped out the buds, as there was a neat little rip in the parafilm just where I had inserted each graft. On closer examination, the buds were still there, and looks fat and healthy. The leaf-stems have dropped off, and the bark that I wrapped shut with parafilm separated enough to rip the parafilm. It looks like the rip happened as the stem swelled with healing - that is, it looks like the area around the cut has callused and grown a bit, which I take to be a good sign.

The grafts of Karmijn onto Ashmead didn't look as good as the grafts of Ashmead onto Golden Russet. Two of the Karmijn grafts were my first two, with grafting rubbers and grafting compound (a waxy goo) and leaving too much leaf, so perhaps the remaining leaf let them dessicate, or the grafting compound somehow got into the wound and caused problems or whatever. Or maybe the Ashmead was closer to dormant - the bark wasn't as slippery as the Golden Russet bark. Maybe some of both, as the third (parafilm, tiny bit of leaf on stem) graft I did onto Ashmead looks better than the first two, but not as healthy as the ones on the other tree. I desperately want the Karmijn to "take" since I have very limited wood of that cultivar (a smallish branch grafted to a too-shaded spot on a native crab) and plenty of Ashmead (I have purchased two trees, and have a huge, vigorous branch growing off an old graft on the same crab.) Oh well, time to wait and see. Gardening teaches patience. :)

Ginda