nafex - Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting

  • From: Bob Hartman <hartmansfruittrees@wport.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] apple grafting
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 21:04:09 -0700

Usually 2 to 3 weeks.  I've noticed where it looks like the budding strip is holding the petiole in place and I barely touch it and it falls off.  I also noticed something unusual where I had budded some plum into plum rootstock about the 20th to 22nd of July and the leaf stem is still in place and still nice and "green".  I just guess some take longer than others.  Other plum buds where the leaf stem had fallen off I removed the budding strip and the bud looks great and healthy that were done at the same time.  I usually wait about 3.5 to 4 weeks before I take any budding strips off and I make sure that it has gone through the step of the petiole falling off.

Bob

list@ginda.us wrote:
How long does it generally take for the leaf stem to fall off if the
graft takes?

I did some more bud grafts today using parafilm.  Perfect material
for the job!  (And lots of fun to play with.)  I sort of like bud
grafting.  I'm excited to see how many buds take and how well they grow.

Ginda