nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Plums

  • From: "Gene Spears" <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Plums
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 13:06:19 -0400

Deb,

            I haven’t had very good luck with purchased varieties of plums – lots of the fruits seem to split and rot on the tree here in the mountains of NC.  What I’ve started doing is talking to some of the old-time farmers around and asking for sprouts of any “good plums” that they have, and/or buying local plums from farmer’s markers and planting the seeds.  I think local “land races” might be better adapted to local conditions than purchased trees, and it’s sort of in the NAFEX spirit, too.

            One final word about plums – you have to be patient with them.  Peaches seem to be pretty “promiscuous”, and start fruiting a couple of years after planting, but some of my plums have taken about 10 years before they set their first fruits.

Gene Spears

Zone 6 (quickly becoming zone 7), western NC