nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 09:08:13 EDT

I'll be approach-grafting a persian walnut to an adjacent black walnut.  Les Wilmouth of NNGA said many years ago that approach-grafting is the only sure-successful method of walnut grafting.  This may be last try for this persian walnut because it being shaded by a grafted Verne Luvall's "Monster" chestnut, which has grown to monsterous proportions in tree-size.

Over the years I've tried various grafting methods on walnuts including the Davie's greenwood grafting method, various budding methods, dormant spring grafting, all to no avail except for this grafted one I'm approach-grafting now.  Grafting I get, budding I don't get.   Well, last call for this grafted one, in a year or two, it'll be dead and then there's only the original tree to preserve its giant nut characteristics.   And its a giant that fills, many don't.
Charlie Paradise z5/6 Massachusetts