nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Watermelon Rootstock

  • From: "Doc Lisenby" <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Watermelon Rootstock
  • Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 15:54:51 -0400

Down here where many farmers grow so many watermelons that we have a festival in July every year to celebrate, we can practically identify the farm or farmer who grew a melon. Locally we can get some of the worst and the some of the best. If the farmer is not skilled in how much fertilizer should be supplied to the plants and at what time to apply it, the melons produced will be sub-par. You can tell whether or not the farmer adjusted the amount of nitrate of soda to the correct amount for his soil. Too much and the melon flesh will be dark red and little juice, not enough and the flesh will be pale and the juice will not be sweet.
The better melons are grown by experienced growers who disregard advise given by "experts". Sub-standard melons and so-so melons are still sold at high prices just like premium melons. The un-initiated buyers don't know the difference. All melons look similar as long as they are the same variety. Thump, examine, listen, smell,--but the only way to determine a ripe good tasting sweet watermelon is to taste it. Commercial buyers rely only on taste if they are buying quality melons but lousy melons are bought also if buyers are pressed by low yields in some areas.
I seriously doubt if a super market buyer ever ate an excellent watermelon. He/she will be satisfied with it if it is chilled, sweet and wet.
Doc Lisenby

  • Re: [NAFEX] Watermelon Rootstock, Doc Lisenby, 08/03/2006