nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: "" <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2006 08:21:51 -0500

Joe Hecksel wrote:
>Ironically, the cultivars I did not care so much about (Sparrow and
>Drake) did not receive the plastic wrap treatment.

I can't comment on Drake, but don't despair over Sparrow. It's a small nut,
but very crackable, and with a quality kernel.

>I stupidly tried to conserve scionwood. I used one bud per graft and
>made the cut at the top fairly close (1/2"-to-3/4", 13mm-to-20mm) from
>the bud. I don't think that the problem was the single bud....rather
>that walnut scion is hollow and very susceptible to drying out.

I prefer a 2 or 3 bud scion - some of the callus formation is dependent upon
stored reserves in the scion, and if your budstick is too small/short, you
may not get sufficient callusing before the scion 'runs out of gas'.

I'm always 'chomping at the bit' to get started grafting in the spring, and
probably start way too early - which may account for many of my graft
failures. Gotta develop some patience; but that probably ain't gonna
happen(for me).

Lessons learned:
-Plastic wrap can be counterproductive
-Graft when the blackberries are in full bloom
-Brown paper lunch bags are good..but stop peeking!
-Side grafts are the cat's meow for BW
-Make top cut at least 1" (25mm) from the top bud.
-It is great to have plant growing friends who generously share tips

There's always next year...

Lucky