nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Grafting Black Walnuts
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 11:37:13 -0500

At 10:51 AM 8/3/2006, Donna wrote:
Could still prove to be Fedco's crummy "Parafilm" which really
doesn't compare to the real thing.
Dang. I knew there was something I was supposed to be looking up for you - that was it.
I've not used the 'grafting' Parafilm, as I've got ready access to the 'good old' Parafilm M, and saw no need to switch.
http://vwrlabshop.com/product.asp?pn=0014239&sid=google&cm_mmc=google-_-cpc-_-labs-_-parafilmm&bhcd2=1154622147
A 2" x 250' roll does a LOT of grafts.
I typically cut it into roughly 6" x 2/3" strips for routine use. Most grafts use up one or two strips.

BUT, this is the exciting part. My one grafted tree has about 8 walnuts
on it this year! 'Myers' must be rather precocious, as it's only been 3 or
4 years since I grafted it, and the tree is maybe 3" dbh. The other,
slightly larger tree that just won't take a graft no matter what I do, it
has a walnut or two on the remaining limbs after the spring butchering and
failed grafts, but the nuts are the very round shape we see on most local
walnuts. This Myer or Thomas Myer is an elongated shape.
If it's scionwood I sent you, it's Thomas Myers(aka Hay), which is probably the best BW for this part of the country(Ohio River & south) - large nut(20/lb), thin shell, kernel % in the 38% range, lateral-bearing, anthracnose-resistant, and annual-bearing.
Emma Kay has an 'odd', elongate football shape, as well - very unlike most of the 'round' BWs I was familiar with, and it is typically heavy-bearing, lateral-bearing, with thin shell and high kernel quality.

I mean, if the previous groundskeeper had planted hicans,
might he have planted improved walnuts too?
Sounds like a reasonable likelihood, to me.
Even if they're seedlings of named varieties, it sounds like they're an easy-cracking selection, and might be worthy of evaluation and propagation.

Lucky