nafex - [NAFEX] Roses for hips?

  • From: Spidra Webster <spidra@speakeasy.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Roses for hips?
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 23:04:34 -0700

I bought a rosa rugosa "Wild Spice" hoping that a rugosa rose would be a good choice for hips. The hips are very pretty but really full of seeds. More seeds than flesh. I'm beginning to think I should have bought a rosa canina, but I have not been able to find a mail order source for them.

Do folks here have experience with growing roses for hips? Which varieties would you recommend? I'm in Berkeley, CA and the wind whips a fair bit around here. Not too much heat.

I'm interested in using the hips for medicine, tea, and Swedish nypponsoppa.

Spidra Webster
USDA Zone 9b. Sunset Zone 17.
Berkeley, CA "Athens of the West"