nafex - Re: [NAFEX] pecan scion

  • From: Jwlehman@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] pecan scion
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 23:28:14 EDT

In a message dated 6/4/2006 2:04:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, goatdoc@ctitech.com writes:

At a scion swap in southern Illinois, I  received some pecan scions marked USDA 64-6-50, does anyone know parentage and properties as compared to Pawnee?
Keith zone 5b

Hello Keith,

Thanks to Wes Rice and Bill Reid I have an answer you.

First the number is incorrect. It should be 64-6-502. Bill grafted it for Ralph Voss about 10 years ago.

The tree is a cross of Mahan and Major. Forrest Keeling Nursery is selling it also.

Wes Rice writes: I have 3 or 4 trees of 64-6-502 and they perform pretty well. The nut is about the size of Pawnee. Cold tolerance is only marginal, however. Hope this helps.

Jerry

  • [NAFEX] pecan scion, R. Keith Etheridge, 06/04/2006
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: [NAFEX] pecan scion, Jwlehman, 06/12/2006