nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The Case of the 'Poisonous' Pawpaw Cookies

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The Case of the 'Poisonous' Pawpaw Cookies
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 17:31:47 -0400

I was on a team which investigated a food poisoning case for the Public Health Service at a famous restaurant in Philadelphia several years ago.
We traced the staph aureus source to a boil in the armpit of the salad maker. Presumably perspiration ran down his arm and hand onto the salads.
Out of all the pathogenic organisms which cause "food poisonings" in the years I was on that team, staph aureus led the pack. We probably eat some everyday, but the infective dose is tremendous and a healthy individual usually will require greatly more organisms than a normal exposure to develop symptoms.
Sure hope you didn't get a fruit from the Cerbera odollam tree in with your papaws or get a little Strongid paste mixed in your cookies. Ha!
Some people are sensitive to the "bloom" on old chocolate or so I've been told. Probably the fats turn rancid and enteritis results.
Doc