nafex - Re: [NAFEX] The Case of the 'Poisonous' Pawpaw Cookies

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] The Case of the 'Poisonous' Pawpaw Cookies
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 12:13:40 -0700

Pat,

Non-food-borne GI viruses are rare. Most things people call stomach flu are
actually food poisoning. It is extremely unlikely that there was a virus
that suddenly struck everyone who ate the same food about the same interval
after ingestion. Proximity to ingestion is one clue that there was food
poisoning. Symptoms occurring within an hour is consistent with the mood
likely food-borne culprits, such as an S. aureus enterotoxin.

Stephen Sadler, Ph.D.
USDA 9, AHS heat zone 8,
Sacramento CA - Mediterranean climate