nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Ure pear
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 20:47:58 -0500

Del,

Ure (rhymes with pure) is my best pear for growth as well. Mine has been in
the ground for at least eight and maybe ten years with only a couple of
bloom spurs. I've not tasted fruit, but I figured that it would make a
beautiful framework for Nova and Beurre Gifard (sp?). I've fruited both of
these here but they suffered extensive trunk and lower crotch damage
at -40F. They won't recover. Although they're still growing strong up
high, the trunks only have a couple of inches of live cambium. The
interesting thing about the damage was that the smaller branches and twigs
were completely unhurt at low temps. I figured that I could place wood from
both cultivars on Ure and cut down the two other trees. I'll leave a bit of
fruiting wood on Ure to offer a third source of pollen.

Based on what I've seen here, I may plant two or three more Ure's with the
goal of topworking them down the road. This makes more sense than risking
own trunked pears. I think that Ure is blight free so that is yet another
plus!

Am I going to be able to put Ure's in the holes left after I dig out Gifard
and Nova? I seem to recall something about problems with replanting pears
in the same spot.

On another note, an unknown pear that I grafted on one of the OHxF rootstock
three years ago is finally starting to grow. The mother tree grows in a
Twin Cities yard and is probably 75 feet tall and at least a hundred years
old. From a distance it looks like an elm. That's how I noticed it. All
the elms in the area were long dead and I wanted to see what the tree was.
I have not seen the fruit, but the owners tell me they are large. They
couldn't say much about the flavor because the pears don't survive the trip
to the ground, and they're to high up to harvest before the dive. Cool.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI