nafex - Re: [NAFEX] flowers on new grafts / pears

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] flowers on new grafts / pears
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:24:39 -0700 (PDT)

I was just checking my '05 grafts, and the rubber splicing tape is starting to
split, I think because we've had more sun than usual in the 4 or is it 5
weeks since
I grafted. This gives me slight concern, because many of the grafts have not
grown
as fast as usual, and I wonder if the mending/mended graft unions will be
self-supporting by the time the rubber tape gives up. (But, I tend to find
things
to worry about, which by season's end, weren't ever a problem!)

--- Del Stubbs wrote:

> I find the electricians splicing tape will rot off only if exposed to sun.
> Yesterday I
> was grafting plums with it and regretted I got the 3m type with a cloth
> mesh strip
> seperator - it is quite clumsy to remove - next roll I'll get the
> no-seperator
> type.
> WhatI like best about splicing tape is how stretchable it is. I prefer it
> over
> clear
> tapes because I often want black to help get another couple degrees warmth.
> Steve, regarding Ure - so far it is my healthiest looking pear at 6 years,
> do you
> mean it
> takes even longer than other pears to fruit? What northern pears bear
> sooner?
> thanks, Del

Yahoo! Sports
http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com