nafex - [NAFEX] peche de vigne

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] peche de vigne
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jun 2005 13:55:27 -0700

I hear wonderful things about this sweet, raspberry-colored, flavorful,
naturally dwarf, ancient peach. For instance, this, from
frenchgardening.com:

"Last but not least, for a brief period in early fall, we are graced with
the availability of pêches de vigne--literally peaches of the grapevine.
This ancient variety of peach has traditionally been planted among the
grapevines as an indicator plant. As peaches are even more susceptible than
grapes to the same diseases, the appearance of disease on the peach signals
the immediate need to treat the grapevines before disease spreads.

In spite of its humble position as a sort of sacrificial lamb to the noble
grape, the pêche de vigne is the most glorious peach on earth. Its deep,
raspberry rose skin is heavily furred with fuzz. Dip it in boiling water for
a few seconds, and slip of the skins to reveal the voluptuous flesh beneath.
Pêche de vigne is basically a white peach, but its flesh is stained a deep
red almost all the way to the pit. (Wear gloves when slicing as the rich
juice also stains your hands.) This heirloom peach is so richly perfumed and
of such intense sweetness that to do anything more than slice it, add a
squirt of lemon juice, and a sprinkling of sugar is gilding the lily. Or
worse: somehow I don't think its delicate flavor could stand up to cooking.
However, a generous splash of rich, natural cream is the perfect
complement."

Anybody know much about this fruit, or have a source?