nafex - [NAFEX] Surround Alternatives

  • From: "Ned and Faye Rahn" <plantfolks@charter.net>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Surround Alternatives
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2005 22:06:36 -0400

Here on the SC coast we are allowed to bait shrimp,  which concentrates the shrimp around the bait.  The shrimp are then caught with a cast net.  The shrimp bait is often made with a mixture of fish meal and a very fine bagged clay, both of which are sold by the local feed stores.  The clay is so fine that it can flow like a liquid while dry.  It is sold in large bags (I believe 50# bags) for around $10 per bag - more or less.  I suspect it may be Kaolin clay, but I am not sure. I will look into it further.

Ned Rahn - zone 8b