nafex - Re: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] fungicide or antibacterial? (fireblight)
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 09:28:19 -0500

At 02:58 PM 5/18/2005, Tom wrote:
As far as I know, copper is not good for many living things.

Tom,
As is the case with so very many 'poisons', the dosage is the important thing.
Copper is an essential micronutrient for both plants and animals, required as a co-factor for various enzyme systems, etc.
Copper deficiency is a very common finding in all livestock species in my area of the country, unless they are adequately supplemented with an appropriate copper source - our soils are Cu-deficient, and thus, our forages are likewise.
Too much copper, however, can be a bad thing.

Lucky