nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Use of Milk

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Use of Milk
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 09:09:58 -0500

Howdy all,

Milk has been found to be fairly effective at inactivating viruses on tools
used for repotting and dividing orchids---a group of plant that are
particularly susceptible to virus infection.

Orchid culture is probably the reason why I sterilize tools between pruning
individual plants. Fruit folks have assured that virus is not spread via
pruning, but I'm afraid I don't believe it. I use a conventional nursery
disinfectant, but may switch to milk as I work a real job less and have more
time to putter in the garden. Conventional agriculture got to where it got,
for among other reasons, its time savings. I suppose I'm being silly trying
to cut my already low chemical usage further (two Imidan sprays, two Captan
sprays and one Benomyl spray for fruit trees, and a little chemical
fertilizer) since my acre is surrounded by several hundred acres of Round-up
ready corn and beans, but what can you do:-?

Steve Herje