nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Elderberries Question

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Elderberries Question
  • Date: Wed, 6 Apr 2005 08:15:26 -0500

Doc, it's probably one of the cultivars that are in the trade, such as
Adams, Johns, Kent, Scotia, Nova, or York (most, if not all of these
were developed in Nova Scotia and New York State). Actually, there are
probably two cultivars growing there, because elderberries are not self
fertile. There's a elderberry cultivar trial underway in Missouri, and
perhaps cultivars that do well in that more southerly climate there
might also do well in South Carolina. For more info, see
http://aes.missouri.edu/swcenter/fieldday/page48.stm. -- Sam Brungardt,
St. Paul, Minn.