nafex - [NAFEX] Elderberries Question

  • From: Doc Lisenby <longdistshtr@shtc.net>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Elderberries Question
  • Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2005 08:48:44 -0400

I drive past a house periodically where there is a tree about six feet tall which bears a very heavy crop of what appears to be elderberries every year. The owner is never home for me to ask him or her what variety it is or whether it actually an elderberry. It is fenced in and I can't get closer than about ten feet to it.
I remember seeing wild elderberries in the Pine Barrens of New Jersey similarly bearing such crops but they were annual bushes if I remember correctly. I have tried several varieties here in South Carolina without getting near the amount of berries this specimen bears. Anyone have any ideas as to what variety this could be? Or if it is possible that a similar species could be mistaken for elderberry? The leaves look just like elderberry leaves and the berries are the same color and size.
Doc Lisenby
Zone 7/8