nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South

  • From: "Thomas Olenio" <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: breen@fedcoseeds.com, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 17:48:43 -0500

Hi,

Do Seed Savers deal in scions?

Apples are not true from seed (except a handful of varieties that are somewhat true)

Later,
tom

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:32:12 -0600, Heron Breen <breen@fedcoseeds.com> wrote:

Bruce, check out the Seed Savers Exchange members listings for Apples. There is a

few enthusiasts who list many Alabama, Georgia and Mississippi heirlooms. You may

hve to join to get said members listing. I'll try to throw a few names your way

as time permits.

My only suggestion would be Gravenstein, since it has a proven track record in

California, but I have no idea how it would do it the South.

Best o' Luck,

Heron

On Mon Mar 14 13:59 , 'Bruce Hansen' <brucedhansen@sbcglobal.net> sent:

The other day I received a letter from a fellow in southern Louisiana. He is

eighty two years old and still has some acreage and has dirt under his

fingernails. I love these conversations from those that are still 'doing'.

It is like the refrain from Cider House Rules, "be of use". He wants me to

send him a few trees and asked me for recommendations for varieties for his

area. Can you believe it? At eighty two he is going to plant a few trees.

Now, that can humble you a tad. Anyway, my nursery/farm is in midwest

Michigan. I am not familiar with the requirements of southern Louisiana.

Perhaps someone could make a suggestion or two of antique varieties for that

area. I am not interested in 'internet' knowledge but would appreciate the

views of folk who have trees and subsequently direct knowledge.

Thank you.

Bruce

Please do not send binary files.
Use plain text ONLY in emails!