nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South
  • Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2005 15:09:47 -0600

Title: RE: [NAFEX] Antique Apples for the Deep South

I really don't know if there are any antique apples for the Deep South (after all, they grow mandarins in southern Louisiana).  However, there are some newer, low-chill apples -- Anna, Dorsett Golden, Ein Shemer, Tropic Mac, Tropic Sweet and Maroon crabapple -- that might be good for southern Louisiana.  Here are some sources of info that may help. -- Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn.

Here's the LSU bulletin, The Louisiana Home Orchard: http://www.lsuagcenter.com/Communications/pdfs_bak/pub1884homeorchard.pdf

See this document from Bracy's Nursery in Louisiana: http://www.lnla.org/fruitguide.html#fruittrees.

A NAFEXers experience with low-chill apples in Houston, Tex., may be seen at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/nafex/2002-May/000325.html

Also, there's a publication about low-chill apples for North and North Central Florida at http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG368.