nafex - Re: [NAFEX] DDT still exported?

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] DDT still exported?
  • Date: Wed, 9 Mar 2005 14:02:34 -0800 (PST)

Last I heard, yes, U.S. is still producing US-banned pesticides for export &
use in
other countries where they are still legal; AND that it's leagal for imported
foods
to have those pesticides on them-- as long as the pesticide is legal where
the food
was produced. These could be out-dated, but I doubt it.

The part I wonder about in the DDT history essay, about the malnourished kids
being
more susceptible to harm from malaria. Agreed, different parts of world have
different cost/benefit formulas, but I'd also like to see agricultural &
dietary
improvements there, not just reduction in mosquitos. FYI, U.S. gov't
recently cut
all agricultural aid to other countries, except for emergency food aid (and
god
knows how they'll define 'emergency'.)

West Nile note: it is not the worst of the mosquito-borne diseases in this
country,
just currently the most famous (since we're tabulating hype & junk science.)

--- Dan Durica <> wrote:

I had always heard that the US still produced DDT for export to other
countries. I
can do a little more research later (I only had a little time to do a google
search)
but this link says that 96 tons were exported in 1991. I think it is true
that many
banned pesticides are still produced for export to countries that haven't
banned
them.

http://www.ghorganics.com/PIC%20Treaty%20Now%20Legally%20Binding.htm

Dan Durica